Muscles Used: Gastrocnemius (Upper Calf)
Equipment Needed: Weights (optional)
- Light Weights (2, 3 or 5 lbs) or
- 12 or 20 oz filled water bottle or
- Soup Cans (unopened)
- Stand up straight, with knees slightly bent.
- Place feet hip distance apart.
- Make sure toes are pointing forward.
- Keep shoulders even as you complete this exercise.
- Exhale (breathe out) as you lift your heels off the floor by standing on your toes and squeezing your calf muscles.
- Raise your heels 2 to 5 inches as you lift. (see photo A)
- Inhale (breathe in) as you lower your heels back to the floor. (see photo B)
- Repeat exercise for set of 8.
- For added resistance, hold weights on shoulders (this is optional).
- Do lift your heels no more than 5 inches.
- Do use a controlled lifting motion, without swinging or bouncing.