Muscles Used: Abductors (Outer Thigh)
Equipment Needed: Mat or towel (optional)
- Lie on your left side, flat against the floor.
- Rest your head on your left upper arm.
- Rest your right arm on your right hip.
- Keep your legs straight.
- Using outer thigh muscle (abductor), lift right leg 6 inches off floor. Keep right toe inflexed position (not a pointed position). (see photo A)
- Exhale (breathe out) as you lift your leg.
- Using resistance with the outer thigh muscle (not gravity), slowly lower your leg. (seephoto B)
- Inhale (breathe in) as you lower your leg.
- Repeat exercise for a set of 8.
- Repeat entire sequence on your right side, step 1-9 (working left abductor muscle).
- Continue to breathe.
- Do use a controlled abductor squeeze, without rocking or swinging your leg.
- Do keep your body straight and your hips aligned (one on top of the other).