Muscles Used: Quadriceps (Mid Lower Thigh), Rectus Abdominus (Abdominals or Abs)- supporting muscle group
Equipment Needed: None
- Stand up straight, with knees slightly bent.
- Place feet hip distance apart.
- Make sure toes are pointing forward.
- Keep shoulders even as you complete this exercise.
- Lift right leg up to hip height by bending right knee. Squeeze right quadriceps muscle and supporting abdominal muscles. Clasp hands in front of chest. (see photo A)
- Extend lower leg (knee to calf) straight forward with a kick motion. (see photo B)
- Exhale (breathe out) as you kick.
- Inhale (breathe in) as you lower your leg to the floor.
- Keep abdominals tight as you complete this entire exercise, to support back posture and maintain proper form.
- Repeat exercise for a set of 8.
- Repeat entire sequence (steps 1-10) with left leg using left quadriceps muscle and supporting abdominal muscles.
- Do keep your back straight.
- Continue to breathe.
- Do avoid leaning to one side as you kick.
- Do squeeze your abdominal muscles.