Muscles Used: Hamstrings (Mid Rear Thigh), Gluteus Maximus (Buttocks), Quadriceps (Front Upper Thigh)
Equipment Needed: None
- Stand up straight, with knees slightly bent.
- Place feet hip distance apart.
- Make sure toes are pointing forward.
- Keep shoulders even as you complete this exercise.
- Bend elbows and hold both arms in a boxer position.
- Maintain proper back alignment—with ears, shoulders and hips in a straight line. (seephoto A)
- Sit in a squat position by bending your knees and squeezing your quadriceps muscles. Pretend you are sitting in a chair. (see photo B)
- Lower your body past the sitting position for a more advanced exercise. (see photo C)
- Balance your body weight by pressing your weight through your heels, not your toes.
- Be sure to keep your knees over your ankles, not past toes. (see photo B)
- Inhale (breathe in) as you squat down.
- Exhale (breathe out) as you stand back up, squeezing your hamstrings and gluteus muscles.
- Repeat exercise for a set of 8.
- Do keep your back straight.
- Do keep hips, shoulders and ears aligned.
- Continue to breathe.