Muscles Used: Latissimus Dorsi (“Lats” Side Back), Deltoids (Shoulder)
Equipment Needed: Weights
- Light Weights (2, 3 or 5 lbs) or
- 12 or 20 oz filled water bottle or
- Soup Cans (unopened)
- Stand up straight, with knees slightly bent.
- Place feet hip distance apart.
- Make sure toes are pointing forward.
- Keep shoulders even as you complete this exercise.
- Hold weights in each hand, with arms extended by your sides. Slightly bend your elbows.
- Place arms so that the held weights are in line (next to) with your hip/leg area. Grip weights so palms face behind you (starting position).
- Slowly and evenly lift right arm in front of body with a full arm extension, until your arm reaches shoulder height. Be sure to keep elbow slightly bent. You are working your right Latissimus Dorsi & Deltoid. (see photo)
- Exhale (breathe out) as you lift arm up.
- Inhale (breathe in) as you evenly and slowly lower arm down to starting position.
- Repeat exercise for a set of 8.
- Repeat entire sequence on your left side, step 1-10 (working left Latissimus Dorsi & Deltoid).
- Do keep your back straight.
- Continue to breathe.
- Do move your arms slowly.
- Do keep an even lifting pace up and down.
- Do keep both shoulders even with one another.