Muscles Used: Pectoralis Major (“Pecs” or Chest), Rectus Abdominus (Abdominals or Abs) supporting muscle group
Equipment Needed: Mat or towel to lie on (optional)
- Lie with your stomach flat against the floor.
- Lift feet off floor, bringing heels towards your buttocks. Bend knees to form a 45-degree angle or L-shape. (see photo A)
- Extend hands next to your body at shoulder height, keeping elbows bent.
- Exhale (breathe out) as you push your body weight off the floor by extending arms from a bent elbow to straight elbow. Be sure to have proper alignment: a straight back, with ears, shoulders and hips in a straight line. Hold abdominal muscles in tightly (pretend you are squeezing your belly button into your spine). (see photo B)
- Inhale (breathe in) as you bend elbows and allow your body to lower to floor level. Lower your body until your face is about 2-3 inches from the floor.
- Repeat exercise for a set of 8.
- Do keep your back straight.
- Continue to breathe.
- Do move your arms slowly.
- Do tighten your abdominals for proper form.